Friday, January 1, 2010

Firmness of Purpose

At the beginning of any new year, it's customary to pause and reflect on the previous year and make resolutions for the year to come. I'll admit I've never really made resolutions (serious resolutions, at least), although it is a concept that intrigues me.



The dictionary defines resolution as a "firmness of purpose" or a "solution, settling of a problem." Of course, the Bible makes no commentary on New Year's Resolutions, but I did perform a quick search in an online concordance...

In the NIV, "resolved" appears four times, "resolutely" appears once. Variations of "persevere" (a synonym to resolve) appear twenty times, and the idea of "holding firmly" appears at least eight times. This search just scratches the surface as there are many other ways these concepts could be presented. However, it is clear that the Lord calls us to firmness of purpose in the way we live our lives.

Some highlights:



  • 1 Corinthians 2:1-2 :: When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

  • Hebrews 4:14-15 :: Therefore since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.

  • Hebrews 10:35-37 :: So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. For in just a very little while, "He who is coming will come and will not delay."
As we step into 2010, I pray that you and I will remember to hold firmly to our faith and the word of God, persevere through the difficult times and the challenges of day-to-day life, and resolve to know Christ better and to make Him known.


2009 was an adventure for me, but I have a feeling 2010 may top it...

No comments:

Post a Comment