Friday, January 1, 2010

Beginning of the Middle

The new year (and decade!) seemed like as good a time as any to start a blog. No matter when I start, I'll be jumping into the middle of things... and I am in the middle of an adventure, looking forward to an exciting 2010.



At the moment, though, I am looking backward and reflecting on 2009. It was eventful to say the least and most of it centered around my plans to serve as a ReachGlobal missionary in Costa Rica.


I made my first and second trips (ever) out of the United States -- visiting the Duggans in San Jose for Memorial Day weekend (a whirlwind 48 hours in Costa Rica) and joining the Church at Charlotte youth group in June on a week-long mission trip to San Carlos, CR.

I travelled to Minneapolis twice -- for the affirming and challenging ReachGlobal Readiness Event at the EFCA national office in March and for the training event (PT Live) at South Suburban EFC in October. And I travelled to Chicago once -- for a two-day seminar in May on raising support.

I took on the challenge of raising my own financial support for my two years in Costa Rica. And in the midst of a recession where a stable job could be hard to come by, I resigned from my position at Red Ventures in September to focus on support raising full-time. To make this step possible, I moved out of my apartment (my home of three years) in August as the McNamara family welcomed me into their home. What an act of service!

From late May onwards, I sent letters and emails, made phone calls, and had the privilege of meeting with more than 100 individuals/couples/families in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, and Florida. As a result, I have been blessed and encouraged in countless ways, through the prayers, support, and financial contributions of these faithful partners in my ministry.


The overarching theme of the year was experiencing God's provision in a variety of ways as He deepened my faith and dependence on Him and taught me more about obedience to His will. In the midst of training for the field and raising support, I had the pleasure of spending time with family, friends, and the Church at Charlotte youth.



I realize that I've glossed over the difficulties of the past year in what I've mentioned so far. I had many friends (most of my Charlotte community) move away in 2009, I struggled with the balance of a full-time job and raising support, and I experienced periods of discouragement, loneliness, and spiritual attacks. However, I am blessed that this year has been filled with growth, encouragement, and excitement.



I enter 2010 with more than 80% of my support already raised. Please continue to pray that the Lord provides the remainder quickly so I can move to Costa Rica in February or March. Thank you for your support!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited for you Melissa. Didn't realize you were still in Charlotte. For some reason I thought you were already in Costa Rica. May 2010 be the adventure of a life time for you

    ReplyDelete