Friday, January 8, 2010

Fast Cars & Freedom

This week I had a little mini wake-up call -- I take my freedom/independence for granted sometimes (ok, often!!).

Wednesday evening, as I left youth group at CAC, I unlocked my car, climbed in, turned the ignition...... and nothing happened. The battery had died, and since I had been fortunate enough to never have to deal with a dead battery in the past, I felt a bit helpless. And jumper cable-less. Thankfully, it was Jim Martin & Christian Barry to the rescue. They gave my car the jumpstart it needed, and I headed home, parking on the street instead of the driveway, just in case it needed another jump in the morning.

As anticipated, it was dead Thursday morning, too. Not to worry, the McNamaras had kindly left their jumper cables handy, and Patrick & I attached the cables -- red-to-red and black-to-black -- and tried to jump the car. Five times. Sputter, sputter, sputter, nothing!

This wasn't really part of my plan. I had places to be! Naively, I hadn't realized that it was possible that my battery could be so dead it was un-revivable. I felt a little stranded (and was even considering enlisting a friend to drive me to an afternoon appointment). Fortunately, this time it was AAA to the rescue. An hour and a half later, I had a new battery installed plus a slightly lighter wallet.... but it was worth it! My freedom was restored!

While I recognize this was pretty minor and could have been much worse (just a few days earlier, I was driving to NC from Ohio and could have ended up stranded in the snow at a rest stop, for example), it made me realize more clearly what a transition I have ahead.

Before I go to Costa Rica, I'm selling my car (shiny new battery and all), and I don't plan to buy another one when I arrive. I knew it was coming... the days of jumping in my car and heading wherever I want, whenever I want, are numbered. We tend to think that having the freedom to get around town is our right, though. As I pray for my move to the field in general, this is one of the specific prayers on my heart. "Lord, help me to give this 'right' to you!"

1 comment:

  1. oh, girl! NOT fun! glad it's all fixed. enjoy every minute of car freedom! and I cannot wait to visit soon!

    ReplyDelete